Monday, December 5, 2016

Assignment 2, Part One

Personal Profile: Introduce yourself. Tell us something fun about yourself, why you have chosen a FLEX option degree program and something about your profession.

I'm Alan.  Call me Al, call me Chief, call me whatever. I take part of that back, don't call me Al if my mom is around, she hates that.  Something fun about myself is that I went to a 70-80's themed Christmas party last Saturday and my wife and I dressed as Cheech and Chong.
Cheech and Chong
My wife Cheech and me.

I chose the Flex option because I have been trying to finish my degree for years and this plan really fit with where I am in my career(s). 

The profession I am in is IT. I am a lead developer at Wells Fargo, and my team works on web based software that is used within the bank.  Nothing I do is ever seen by customers, thank goodness, because I am horrible at front end development.  My skills are more in application logic and database stuff.

Before I was able to focus solely on my civilian career as a programmer, I apparently had to finish my career with the United States Navy.  I served 24 years, both Active and Reserve and deployed twice as a Reserve Component Sailor.  I spent a year down in Tampa, FL working at US Central Command HQ in 2001-2002 and then a year training and deploying to Basra, Iraq. I retired from the Navy in January of 2015 and have really been doing well in my civilian career.  My boss and I both plan on being promoted in the next 3-4 years, and she wants me to have her current job.  I'd be fine with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment