Thursday, December 29, 2016



Learning Goals

Client Diversity in Health Sciences from the IT Guy's perspective


After reflecting on the course competencies and my dismal performance on the quality and culture self-assesment, here are my three goals for this course:


1. Attain the ability to recognize cultural issues in both my personal and professional environments.

Based on the competency of "demonstrate[s] strategies to apply cultural competency in professional and personal environments" and my incorrect answer to the question about conscientiously  eliminating prejudices, I think that a good goal is simply to train myself to have the presence of mind to watch for behaviors in myself and others that are culturally inappropriate.

2. Reach a higher level of understanding how different cultures approach the "work" environment. 

Since I work in information technology, I work closely with many people from the country of India. I think that understanding the culture of co-workers, especially if it is quite different from your own, is an important aspect of diversity and inclusion whether you work in health care or technology. One of my co-workers, specifically, has a work ethic that borders on relentless, to the point of causing him health issues.

3. Understand better the impact of culturally inappropriate behaviors on the workplace.

I have learned, mostly through military training, that there are gestures, phrases and many aspects of language and body language that mean vastly different things in different cultures.  I was trained specifically how to interact with Iraqi civilians, keeping in mind things that seem innocuous to Americans that Iraqis may find horribly offensive.  Despite that training, I got the question about gestures "bridging the communication gap" wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment